I’m a multimedia journalist, writer and photographer who has told stories in pen and pixels on a wide range of topics while working or freelancing for various online and print publications, including Newsday, Aol, Long Island Business News, Long Island Pulse and The Objective Standard.
I’ve written about everyone from grieving 9/11 families to overjoyed championship-winning student athletes.
- I’ve walked through flooded and burned down homes in Long Beach after Hurricane Sandy, and later shot videos of rebuilt houses, boardwalks and parks.
- I’ve told the tales of businesses owners burdened by the financial collapse of 2008, and covered tea party rallies when they broke out nationwide the next year.
- I collaborated on a next-day exclusive about the air-traffic controller, Patrick Harden, who helped land a commercial airliner on the Hudson River in ’09.
- I covered the Quiksilver Pro New York 2011, the largest surf competition ever held on the East Coast, and the Canon Expo 2015 at the Javits Center in Manhattan.
- I’ve talked with retired FDNY firefighter Bob Beckwith, who unexpectedly found himself beside bullhorn-wielding George W. Bush during the president’s first visit to Ground Zero.
- I wrote a series documenting a 50-year-old speed skater’s quest to earn a spot at the Olympic trials.
- I felt the weight of an emotion-filled courtroom when a convicted murderer was sentenced to life in prison without parole, only to write about his suicide in jail after a fourth and final trial upheld his guilt.
- My feature stories have helped unite World War II POWs, and I’ve covered many Memorial Day and Veterans Day events.
- I interviewed the owner of the highly prized 1909 Honus Wagner baseball card in a bank vault where he kept it.
- I profiled a man who cuts vinyl records at his home studio, decades after reports of their demise had been greatly exaggerated; and I’ve written about a band that performs entire rock albums without rehearsals.
- I sat beside a judge on his bench one Sunday morning as he arranged dozens of drunk drivers, assailants and other accused lawbreakers.
And, yes, I’ve covered my fair share of city council, zoning board and school board meetings, as well as local elections for U.S. Senate and Congress, city councils and library boards.
When I’m not reporting, I write reviews and commentary on American culture and news events, and I maintain a few blogs. I’ve reviewed books on Vince Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers and the Dutch founders of Manhattan for the quarterly publication The Objective Standard, and contributed to its daily blog commenting on topics ranging from from ABC’s Shark Tank, to North Korea’s oppressive conformity, to the new residential skyscrapers in New York. I’ve conducted Q&As with attorneys and business leaders in their industries on Long Island, as well as renowned New York photographer Richard Berenholtz and Donna Hassler, executive director of Chesterwood, the former home and studio of American sculptor Daniel Chester French.
My writing has also appeared in a Pearson Education textbook Choices Writers Make, and Grow Up, America!, a self-help book by psychologist Dr. Michael Hurd.
Using Nikon and iPhone cameras, I photograph many subjects with an eye especially on New York City — mainly its architecture, art and parks — and I turn my best images into blogs. I’ve taken photos of monuments and buildings for Guides Who Know, an app-based video guide for Manhattan; sporting events, parades and high school graduations for Newsday; and events from biology conferences to book signings for Molloy College. As editor of an AOL news site, I created dozens of photo galleries of everything from architecturally distinct homes to bustling beach and boardwalk scenes in Long Beach (NY). My images have also accompanied stories for ABCNews.com, amNewYork, Long Island Pulse magazine, Molloy Magazine and Long Beach Magazine.
My writing and photography services are available for personal and business digital and print content creation. If you are interested in my services, or if you want to purchase photos on this site, contact me at:
Joe was a thorough and conscientious editor of The Oceanside/Island Park Herald during the time that I worked with him. He was very serious about community journalism and cognizant of the unique position community papers hold in the broader media milieu.
Public Information Coordinator at Oceanside School District
As Editor at Richner Communications, Joseph Kellard exhibited strong qualities in writing and editing. As his intern, I would meet with Joe each week to proofread and edit weekly articles which he had assigned to me. Joe's proven passion and leadership skills were the qualities that made him not only a remarkable editor, but a terrific mentor as well.
Digital Reporter, News & Lifestyle at ABC News
Joe is a true professional who is dedicated to his craft. Any entity would be fortunate to have Joe as part of their team. He is outstanding writer and is extremely knowledgeable about a multitude of issues facing our communities.
Former Communications Director at New York State Senate
Publications: Newsday, Long Island Business News, Long Island Pulse, The Objective Standard, Aol/Patch.com, Herald Newspapers, Pearson Higher Education, Ultimate Athlete, Oyster Bay Guardian, Living Resources Newsletter, Long Beach Magazine, Molloy Magazine.